Ready to Move?
Moving is a significant undertaking, and while it may seem like you have all the time in the world to prepare, it’s easy to become overwhelmed if you don’t plan ahead. To stay on track in the weeks leading up to your moving day and settle in with ease, Smart Move suggests the following simple steps. Eight Weeks Before Moving
- Start researching your new community. Read local newspapers online and request a new resident packet from the chamber of commerce.
- Create a file to keep track of important information regarding your move.
- Budget for moving expenses and get a quote from Smart Move.
- Visit the Smart Move web site for moving tips and other useful information.
Seven Weeks Before Moving
- If you’re moving to a new city, gather your medical and dental records and seek references for new providers from your current providers.
- Arrange to have your children’s school and/or daycare records transferred.
- Request copies of any legal or financial records you may need.
- If you’re moving to a new state, contact your insurance agent to check for any changes in your policies. Find out if moving services are covered by your current policy and arrange for insurance for your new home.
- Contact health clubs and other organizations you have joined to see about ending, selling or transferring your memberships.
- If you have pets, arrange to have their veterinary records transferred.
- Review the floor plan of your new home and think about the function each room will serve.
Six Weeks Before Moving
- Make a list of everyone who needs to be notified of your move including friends, relatives and businesses.
- Take an inventory of the items in each room and decide what to keep. Start planning a yard sale, contact local charities for donations, or properly dispose of any items you no longer need.
- Consider subscribing to the local newspaper in your new community.
- Begin using up items that can’t be moved, such as frozen food, bleach and aerosol cleaners.
Five Weeks Before Moving
- Start collecting boxes and packing supplies. You can order boxes and packing supplies now and Smart Move will deliver them to your door.
- Start packing items you don't use often and donate or dispose of items you no longer need. (If you donate, be sure to get a receipt for income tax purposes.)
- Think about potential deliver and pick up dates for your Smart Vaults.
- Plan ahead for parking. Each Smart Vault will require 72 x 90 inches of space. If your vaults will be placed on a city street, you may need a permit. Please contact the proper authority to ensure that you are complying with all rules and regulations.
Four Weeks Before Moving
- Reserve your Smart Vaults online or by calling 877-878-4880.
- File a change of address with the post office. If you are unsure what your new address will be, ask that your mail be held at the post office in your new city.
- Make travel arrangements for pets and be sure to include any necessary medical and/or immunization records.
- Arrange to have utility services at your old home disconnected the day after you move; connect services at your new home the day before you move in.
- Host a yard sale and donate or dispose of items you don’t sell.
- Contact your newspaper courier and set a date to cancel your subscription.
Three Weeks Before Moving
- Make sure all library books and other rented items are returned and pick up dry cleaning and items out for repair. Also retrieve any items out on loan and return any items borrowed from neighbors.
- Decide if you will keep your plants or give them away. (Remember that plants cannot be loaded with other household items.)
- Dispose of flammables, corrosives and poisons.
- Have your car(s) serviced and prepare to have your auto registration transferred if moving out of state.
- If you are moving into or out of an apartment, arrange to use the elevator on your move day if available.
Two Weeks Before Moving
- Contact your bank and/or credit union to transfer funds or close your account. Remove any items secured in safety deposit boxes.
- Confirm travel arrangements for pets and family.
- Decide on the area where your Smart Vaults will be placed.
- Notify any creditors of your move.
- Plan meals for the last week of the move to help empty your refrigerator and avoid the need to use appliances that will already be packed.
- Create a file of important information about the house for the new owner, including appliance warrantees.
One Week Before Moving
- Notify any creditors of your move.
- Finish packing and prepare a box of essential items you will take with you, such as daily medication and toiletries. Designate boxes of items you will need access to immediately upon moving in as “last load.” Pack suitcases and valuables separately.
- Drain water hoses and empty gas and oil from lawn mowers, gas grills, kerosene heaters and other motorized appliances.
- Contact Smart Move to confirm the delivery date for your Smart Vaults.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator at least one day before moving.
- Pack and secure all appliances you plan to move.
- Fill any prescriptions or medications you will need.
- Make childcare arrangements for moving day if necessary.
- Notify friends and family of your new address and phone number.
- It is necessary for you to be present when Smart Move delivers your Smart Vaults. You will need to show the driver where you want them placed and sign for delivery.
- Inspect your Vaults for cleanliness and leaks before signing for delivery.
- You are ultimately responsible for how your goods are packed and loaded. Be familiar with our packing and loading tips and supervise hired labor.
- Load your goods in a pre-designated order, saving "last load" items for the rear of your shipment. Last load items are those you will need upon moving in, such as your vacuum cleaner or bed sheets. Heavier, smaller boxes should be loaded on the bottom; lighter items on top. Be sure to wrap all furniture.
- Check every room, closet and cabinet one last time.
- Once your goods are loaded, lock your Smart Vaults. You will need to provide your own locks, or you can purchase them from Smart Move.
- Take note of utility meter readings just in case of a discrepancy later. You should have received a copy of your Bill of Lading (BOL), when you received your Smart Vaults. Review this document carefully and contact Smart Move with any questions or concerns.
- Make sure the destination address and contact information on your BOL is correct.
- Call Smart Move at 877-878-4880 when your Smart Vaults are ready to be picked up.
- When Smart Move picks up your Smart Vaults, verify the number of vaults being used in your move with the driver and sign the BOL.
- You will receive information informing you how to track your Smart Vaults when the driver picks them up. You also can access this information online or by calling Smart Move at 877-878-4880. Tracking information will be active once the driver logs your signed paperwork into the system.
- Leave a note with your new address in the house so that future residents can forward stray mail.
- Keep a friend or family member informed of your plans and where you can be contacted in case of an emergency.
- Keep track of your shipment and work with Smart Move to schedule delivery of your Smart Vaults. Plan ahead for parking. You are likely to arrive at your new home ahead of your shipment. Take this time to look things over and to make sure your new utilities have been connected.
- Check appliances and systems to ensure all are working properly, and arrange for repairs if necessary.
- Check to see if your mail is making it to your new address or pick up any mail being held.
- Consider drawing out your new floor plan and decide where you want furniture and appliances placed.
- It is necessary for you to be present when Smart Move delivers your Smart Vaults. Show the driver where you want them placed and sign for delivery. If you are unable to do this, arrange for another family member or friend to accept your shipment.
- The driver will leave the Smart Vaults for you to unload at your pace. After your goods are unloaded, contact Smart Move to have the empty vaults picked up. Be sure to remove all debris, leaving only the moving pads.
After Your Move
- Keep all receipts and documentation in your move file and store the file in a safe place. Be sure to include your Bill of Lading (BOL) and delivery receipt. You'll be glad to have everything in one place at tax time.
- Get a new driver's license and new tags for your car(s).
- Register to vote in your new precinct.
- Contact the local paper for a new subscription.
- Please call Smart Move at 877-878-4880 or visit our web site at www.gosmartmove.com and take a few minutes to complete a customer satisfaction survey. We strive to provide you with the best service available and appreciate your honest and objective feedback. Thank you for your business, and we hope you’ll make your next move with us.